You guys, I’m going to say something that may not sit well with some of you…stop buying your oils from the grocery store. Stop buying your oils from Amazon. Stop buying your oils from cheap sites. (raises hand, been there) I mean obviously, this is up…
You guys, I’m going to say something that may not sit well with some of you…stop buying your oils from the grocery store. Stop buying your oils from Amazon. Stop buying your oils from cheap sites. (raises hand, been there) I mean obviously, this is up to you, but I’m going to tell you where to buy essential oils and why. Because friends don’t let friends buy oils from the grocery store.
Why you should stop buying oils at the grocery store
The grocery store, Amazon, cheap sites…I have been there. I’m homesteader-ish, remember? I like to do things as cheaply as possible. But what if I told you, there is a reason those oils are so cheap?
Just like there are fake olive oils in the world, there are fake essential oils. By “fake” I mean synthetic, artificially made, etc. This is why a lot of times you’ll see “not for internal use” on the essential oil labels at the store; not because pure lemon essential oil is dangerous, but because maaaaaybe you’re not getting pure essential oil–just one reason these oils are so cheap.
Another reason grocery store essential oils are so cheap is because companies add “fillers”–a carrier oil, a synthetic oil, whatever. “The FDA says that so long as an essential oil contains 5% pure ingredients, it can be labeled 100% Therapeutic Grade. What this means for us is that a bottle of peppermint essential oil can contain just 5% peppermint essential oil and 95% something else and still be qualified and labeled as 100% Therapeutic Grade peppermint essential oil” (source).
I have a couple of different examples, but I’ll just use this one: I use lavender for a bunch of different skin issues and one time I burned myself while cooking–normally I put my lavender essential oil from [nameless brand] on it, and it was okay. However, this time, I put it on and it made the burn worse. Whatever was in that bottle made my red spot even redder and it hurt so bad!
I haven’t ever had this problem with the oils I use now. I don’t know what was in that bottle, but I want to know that I’m getting the pure oil every time.
Where to buy essential oils
Short answer: You can buy your essential oils from DoTerra through me. Shameless plug? I don’t know. Maybe. Or maybe I’ve just used a ton of different brands and got tired of using crappy oils. Probably that one. Long answer: keep reading below.
Why DoTerra over other companies
- Plants are grown in their native habitat and harvested at the best time to get all of the oil. Fun fact: Wintergreen grows in a lot of places, but it grows best in Nepal, so that is where DoTerra sources their oils. You can see how it is sourced here.
- The oils are ethically sourced. DoTerra sources their oils all over the world (because some plants grow better other places than the United States, obvs), and two-thirds of our sourcing is done in developing countries. Instead of going in and taking over, DoTerra partners with them, allowing them to grow and better their life without taking everything away from them. DoTerra makes sure the growers get fair and on-time payments and also offers profit-sharing programs to the people they work with. We call this “co-impact sourcing”. Click the link to watch a quick video about it! Oh, and DoTerra helps to teach their partners to create cooperatives and preserve farmlands for the future generations. Which leads to the next point:
- They love the earth! For me, this is huge. I mean, I’m not great at reducing my carbon footprint or recycling, but I planted 50 blackberry bushes this year, and over 50 trees on our property, so I’ve got that going for me. And fun fact: DoTerra’s name essentially means, “gift of the earth” and not only do they value their employees, they value the way the plants and oils are treated.
How to get DoTerra’s oils at a low-cost
Guys, I was one of those people who really liked essential oils but thought I could still get cheap, high-quality oils from Amazon, the grocery store, and smaller sites. I was one of those people that said, “there is no way I’m paying for DoTerra”. And then I got tired. I got tired of spending money on oils that didn’t work, spending money on oils that were diluted, and spending money on oils that I couldn’t use internally or for cooking. And now I never pay full price for my oils–and they’re from DoTerra.
I finally decided that I would open a wholesale account with DoTerra to get their oils into my home so I would know that I was getting amazing quality, every time I ordered for 25-55% off of retail prices. The price you see on their website (retail) is not the price I pay for the same oil. When I get my oils now I know that they were ethically sourced, I know that there are no synthetics, no fillers or additives, and no chemicals–I’m getting the pure, ethical oil, every time. You can read some more frequently asked questions about DoTerra here.
A few quick facts about the wholesale account:
- You get 25-55% off of all of DoTerra’s products (not just oils!)
- No monthly ordering (this is amazing! You still get the benefits of the account, but you can start or stop at any time–you are not required to order anything to keep your account!)
- No selling required–if you’re looking to sell oils then you’ll want to go here or email me at folkandco @ gmail.com
- You can get 10-30% of what you spend back in product points–you can use this to get free product
About our starter kits:
These kits are open to people outside of the United States as well, just FYI. Each starter kit comes with 10 essential oils/blends:
- Frankincense (Yes, the baby Jesus oil and the big 15 mL bottle has a $93 value! This alone is worth the purchase of a kit–when you buy the Home Essentials kit you’re almost getting this for free)
- Melalueca (aka tea tree oil, great for all the bug bites/skin issues)
- Lavender (15 uses for lavender here)
- Lemon (I use this one the most; for cleaning, in my water, for skin support)
- Peppermint (also excellent for a million things like head tension and seasonal support)
- Oregano (often overlooked, but so powerful for so many things!)
- Digestzen (digestion support blend)
- Breathe (respiratory support blend)
- On Gaurd (protective immune support blend)
- Deep Blue (muscle support blend)
Family Essentials kit: $150 | Save $37 | Includes all 10 oils in the small 5 mL bottles as well as peppermint and On Gaurd “beadlets”–tiny veggie capsules with a drop of oil in them
Home Essentials kit: $275 | Save $86.25 | Includes all 10 oils in the big 15 mL bottles and a diffuser
Why even buy essential oils?
“We each have the innate ability to heal ourselves. To empower ourselves with natural solutions. There’s a time and a place for pharmaceuticals, but it shouldn’t be the first answer, nor the only form of treatment.” -Dana Arcuri
Let me just say that I believe in modern medicine, but I’m also a firm believer that we literally can’t afford to leave all of our care in the hands of doctors. Who honestly has the money for that? This is why I love essential oils–they close the gap between home care and healthcare. Essential oils are a part of my everyday life and I want them to be part of yours too. They are so powerful and empowering and with help from myself and our private, members-only group you can learn to use these oils for you and your family.
How to open a wholesale account:
If you want great quality oils in your home, then you can sign up by clicking here and following the steps below:
- Click this link (mydoterra.com/folkandco)
- Click “join and save”, then scroll down and click “join”
- Select “wholesale customer”
- Follow the prompts and order a starter kit (the most budget friendly is the family essentials kit, but I started with the home essentials kit and highly recommend it if possible! Plus, you’re basically getting the frankincense for free)
Why enroll with Folk & Co. over someone else?
You can really enroll with whoever you want. I just want you to have great oils. But if you join as a wholesale customer with me I’ll teach you how to use your oils and you’ll also get a few additional perks:
- A welcome package from me (includes a little surprise for you!)
- Access to our members-only group on Facebook with over 1,000 members for oil education and support–seriously, you can type in “cough” in the search bar and get a bunch of different options!
- Email/message support from me when you need it <3
If you’re still unsure, join my essential oil group on Facebook where I share how I use essential oils and other healthy tips, then message me and we will chat!
Do your friends a solid and share this post with them–help them stop buying essential oils from the grocery store!
Download my free essential oil guide
I have a love for making natural remedies with essential oils, herbs, and wild plants for wellness. I’m always trying new things “potions” and my family refers to me as the “witch doctor.” I’ve infused honey with goldenrod, shared 15 ways you can use lavender, created the beginner’s guide to folk remedies, and I’m starting this year with a brand new eBook: the 10 Essential Oils Your Family Needs.
I’ve been using essential oils for over four years from various companies because I thought, ‘an oil is an oil is an oil, they’re all the same.’ I was wrong. When I got some tea tree oil from a nameless company recently I was so disappointed in the quality that I thought to myself, ‘self, stop wasting your money on the cheap oils, and get the good stuff.’ So I got the good stuff and I’m sharing it with you in this eBook.
✔ Which 10 essential oils you need
✔ How the plants and oils have been used in past
✔ Ways to use each essential oil today in your home
✔ How to make a salve with essential oils
✔ My favorite tea blends with essential oils
✔ How to get 25% off of these essential oils
There is no better way to start the new year than by learning about essential oils and how they can benefit you and your family. Enter your email below to get your password to download the eBook.