This isn’t the first time I’ve made a DIY charcoal toothpaste, but it’s the first time I’ve actually wanted to use it when it was done. And by “charcoal” I mean, “activated charcoal”, but I also don’t want to type out “activated charcoal” every time I use the word “charcoal…you feel me? Okay, so now for the post. This is something I’m trying to use one to three times a week to help strengthen and brighten my teeth without chemicals. I only use it a couple of times a week, but I use my On Guard toothpaste from DoTerra daily. (You can order it from my website. If you want 25% off message me for help!)
FYI: this post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission without additional cost to you. Basically, it gives me some extra cash to keep this blog running. Thank you for your support!
DIY Charcoal Toothpaste
This stuff is super easy to make, and yes, it will make your mouth black while you’re brushing. It’s weird. It’s fine. No one looks adorable when brushing their teeth anyway. BTW, all of the essential oils I use are DoTerra. If you need to buy oils in bulk or singles let me know! Do not buy essential oils from Amazon or the supermarket! I really need to write a post about why that is the worst, but for now, remember to read the disclaimer and just make this paste:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (can kill harmful mouth bacteria, prevent tooth decay, and just provide really awesome oral support)
- 2 TBSP bentonite clay (has the ability to absorb toxins as well and is high in minerals)
- 1 tsp activated charcoal (Activated charcoal (not the same stuff as on your grill) has the ability to detoxify the body by drawing chemicals to it and eliminating them. It also whitens teeth!)
- 1 tsp baking soda (whitens teeth)
- 5 drops lavender essential oil (mostly because I like it but also because it helps to fight off gross things)
- 5 drops lemon essential oil (because real life lemons can help whiten your teeth so…also because lemon and lavender go well together)
- 2-5 drops peppermint essential oil (depending on how minty you like your paste, also good for oral health)
- 3 drops frankincense (helps support cellular health, so why not support like, oral health? Plus, this is such a great mood-boosting oil, so I added it)
Combine all of the ingredients aside from the essential oils and mix until smooth. Then add the essential oils and store in a container (I just used a jar). Use 1-3 times per week.
That’s it! If you make this tag me on Instagram or Facebook @folkandco. I’d love to see! Oh, and pin it for later 🙂